To accelerate adoption of SMM options and to prompt more local ownership of the
VIRP, it will re-organize its efforts around seven core teams focused primarily on
commodities (specific components of the discard stream in the USVI):
- Construction & Demolition
- Educational Outreach
- Glass, Metals & Plastics
- Scrap Metals
- Government Relations
- Special Wastes (including, but not limited to electronic waste, household hazardous waste, rubber/tires, oil, and textiles)
- Fill-out Team Membership. Identify and involve additional team members from currently non-represented stakeholder groups (e.g., businesses and others), with the intent to build a diverse team representing all sectors.
- Presentations. Provide an opportunity for organizations to give the team a presentation on the work already being done in the team’s focus area.
- Expert Engagement. Identify additional experts – both on- and off-island – and provide an opportunity for presentations from these to the team, including identification of model programs and/or best practices.
- Public Presentations. Consider having presentations offered in a setting where the public is encouraged to attend.
- Source Reduction. Identify source (waste) reduction opportunities for the commodity/discard item in question.
- Reuse. Identify material reuse opportunities for the commodity/discard item in question, including materials exchanges.
- Recycling Markets. Identify recycling market opportunities for the commodity in question (including, as appropriate, composting as an alternative), using a highest-and-best-use analysis process (including appropriate financial analysis, and an evaluation of externalities, to the best of the team’s ability).
- Legislation. Develop legislative and enforcement options to meet source reduction, reuse, composting, and recycling opportunities, and this includes source separation options, and forward those to the Government Relations Team.
- Infrastructure. Articulate any infrastructure and finance needs related to any of the above.
- Business Plans. Identify needs for business plan development, and engage appropriate organizations to assist.
- RFP Development. Assisting with development and review of public procurement requests for proposals for contract services needed to implement any of the above goals.
- Pilot Projects. Foster and develop pilot projects, but only when immediate, permanent solutions cannot easily be implemented.
- R & D. Develop a list of research and development, and technical assistance needs.
- Education and Outreach. Work with the Education & Outreach Team to develop associated public communication, education and outreach strategies and programs (identify within each team an education and outreach liaison to serve on the Education and Outreach Team).
- Market Solutions. Promotion of solutions that can be rapidly implemented (such as composting).