The Environmental Finance Center at Syracuse University is using its solid waste management and recycling expertise to facilitate the the U.S. Virgin Islands Recycling Partnership (VIRP) in an effort to assist the islands in establishing a sustainable solid waste strategy—based on an aggressive program of waste reduction, recycling and composting—and moving toward a sustainable materials economy. The partnership includes government (at all levels), non-profit organizations, citizens, environmental groups, and the private sector. The VIRP is comprised of eight core teams: Construction & Demolition Debris; Education & Outreach; Glass, Metal & Plastic Containers; Government Relations; Organics; Paper; Scrap Metal; and Special Wastes. To become a member of the VIRP and to join a team, register here.
As VIRP commodities team planning proceeds, web pages will be set up for each of those material categories to track and share information for those categories of material resources. For a summary of sustainable materials management options for the Virgin Islands, please refer to the VIRP Integrate Solid Waste Strategy below.
- USDA Revises Guidance on Date Labeling to Reduce Food Waste
- Managing and Transforming Waste Streams
- Seeking Water Restoration Proposals
- Webinar on Recycling Collection Programs
- Apply for Local Foods, Local Places and bring health, economy and wellbeing to your neighborhood
- Contest: design a poster for International Compost Awareness Week
- EPA Kicks Off Campus RainWorks Challenge
- Webinar: Protecting Students from Mosquitoes and the Zika Virus at School
- Save the Date: Caribbean Recycling Summit
- App Lets You Buy Leftover Food From Restaurants And It’s Really Cheap
- The Caribbean Environment Programme’s Small Grants Fund seeks proposals on sustainability of Marine Protected Areas and fisheries practices
- “Food: Too Good to Waste” an upcoming webinar on food waste reduction
- Campus RainWorks Challenge Seeks Green Infrastructure Design
- New Sustainable Materials Management Steward Leading Educational Projects in St. Thomas
- Summer 2014 Stewards Set to Begin Composting Projects! More info available on the Stewardship Program Page.
- USVI Sustainable Materials Management Resolution made available
- Sanitas Proposes a Waste Management and Recycling Plan
Read more on the News and Discussion Page.